Benefits cut by Tory stealth
Assault on the ‘welfare state’
Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) for the sick and disabled by a third. This alone will affect half a million people.
- The Independent Living Fund (ILF) of which supported those in need with care packages. Since the government cuts, 88% of disabled persons have had a 50% reduction in their care packages.
- Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) for the sick and disabled by a third. This alone will affect half a million people.
- A shocking 55% per week from ESA for the sick and disabled aged 18 to 25.
- Personal Independence Payments (PIP) from approximately 164,000 people suffering with mental health illnesses.
- The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has lowered or stopped PIP for almost half (45%) of all claimants.
- The DWP was in a scandal in which assessors asked people the reason why they hadn’t “killed” themselves.
- A research study established that the DWP “fit for work” assessments caused permanent damage to mental health.
- 62% of individuals the DWP sanctions live have mental health illnesses.
- 10,600 individuals died soon after their greatly needed benefit claims stopped.
- 90 people a month are dying after the DWP declares them ‘fit for work’.
- 590 people have committed suicide because of DWP fit-for-work tests.
But will the Tories be held accountable?
Parliament’s summer season recess has meant bad news for sick and disabled people. The Tories’ have been sneaky with cuts and burying reports, without scrutiny. At the moment, the Rights of Disabled People by the UN Committee have been investigating the Tories over its treatment of disabled people. The Conservatives will not come out well from this.